Beer Braised Chili Con Carne
Added Nov 24 2009 8:20PM
2 ancho chilies
2 pasilla chilies
2 chipotle chilies
2 chilies de arbol
4 slices bacon (cut into 1 inch slices)
1 pound beef (chuck roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
1 onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup coffee
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon oregano
salt to taste
1/4 tablet Mexican chocolate (grated)
1 handful cilantro (chopped)
1. Toast the ancho, pasilla, chipotle and de arbol chilies in a pan.
2. Cover in boiling water and let soak for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large pan and set aside retaining the grease in the pan.
4. Add the beef and brown on all sides in the bacon grease and set aside.
5. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
7. Add the bacon, beef, tomatoes, kidney beans, coffee, beer, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne and oregano.
8. Drain the chilies and blend in a half a cup of fresh water and add to the pot. (Tip: Add the chilies a bit at a time taste testing as you go to get it to the level of heat that you desire.)
9. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the beef is fork tender, about 3-5 hours, adding more liquid if required.
10. Add the Mexican chocolate.
11. Remove from heat and mix in the cilantro.